Translation

28.9.12

    Well, it just so happens that I have some free time to write, finally. It was afforded me when I decided to intentionally play volley ball without shoes and well, you know how accidents happen so there's no need to go into much detail. So here I am on the couch with an ice pack on my swelling lump of an ankle. Some would say, oh that's unfortunate, but to them I say . . . well yes, but no. No because its been a while since I have twisted my ankle so its kind of refreshing. Its weird to say but I haven't felt pain for a long time. I was thinking about it and just considered that pain is simply a reaction taking place in your body that has intense uncomfortable sensations, right? So I haven't been this uncomfortable for a while. Well, I have had a couple of two hour nights here so far where I had to write papers and read (not an exaggeration) hundreds of pages for homework the next day. So both discomfort in terms of sleep and pain. I'm actually rather blessed. I was one of the few that didn't get sick the Turkey trip. I felt really bad for those who did and did what I could for them.
    On a different note, you probably want to hear a little about Turkey eh? We sang a lot of songs during the many many hours in the bus, many with the word turkey in there, you could have guessed the majority being Thanksgiving songs. Bro. Judd our religion and field trip teacher is such a great man, whom I respect very much, taught us all about the route that Paul took during his ministry. This is where we went. We visited 5/7 churches mentioned in the book of revelation. It was cool to see first hand what kind of land he dealt with. Lots of hills. I will mention a couple of names, Ephesus, Smyrna, Traos, Pergamum, and Myletus. Myletus is where bid his fellow saints of the meridian day a farewell much like the one Christ gave his apostles the night before His final trail.
    Beyond the churches of Revelation, we went to Nicaea or modern day Iznik to see where the early day distortions of Christ's doctrine took place. I say distortions with the idea of intentional changes that took place during the ecumenical councils. Arian, a priest within the council, held to the belief that was becoming less and less popular, which Christ taught, that Christ was actually separate and distinct from the Father and the Holy Ghost. The reasoning behind his rejection, and eventual excommunication from the church was because this would suggest that Christ was not fully divine meaning people should not pay him full homage and worship.
After Nicaea was Istanbul and many mosques. This was fascinating! Hagia Sophia (aiah sofia in Turkish)Blue Mosque (Sultan ahmed Mosque), etc. were very enlightening to see. Beautiful architecture, great calligraphy, and such devote worshipers showed something so characteristic of the world of Islam.
We went to legitimate grand bazaars and haggled to lower prices as though we had been doing it for a lifetime.
All in all Turkey was a blast.
I love you all and hope to be able to tell you about Jericho or the city of david sometime soon. Until then, ta ta for now!



No comments: